[SML] Do you have a successful invention?

Bruce bruce at ledworklights.com
Wed Apr 29 19:14:18 UTC 2020

Be *very* prepared for the trouble that comes with attempting to license a
product.  There is still SO much 'Not Invented Here' mindset.  Not to
mention that you are typically not going to see greater than 10% of the
sales price as payment, assuming exclusivity is granted.  This was my
experience and counsel I received way back when.....

  Effective filing and defense of a patent was north of $25k, back nearly
10 years ago.  Sure, the filing fee is tiny, but almost no one gets a
patent accepted and granted in one go.  There are usually half a dozen
[minimum] back-and-forth exchanges with the Patent Office, all of which
SOMEONE has to properly and promptly respond to. Never mind if someone
challenges your patent, unsuccesfully or otherwise.

  So, unless you figure you can make profit [not gross] of 100-125k in the
first 3 years, I would advise that a patent may not be worthwhile.

  There is a reason so many folks start small companies to sell their
inventions.  It is often the path of least resistance, and those companies
can be purchased in whole by bigger fish further down the line.

My bits-n-thought.

:Bruce Cooper
--
Stagehand in Waiting