[SML] Lasers in checked bags

Stuart Wheaton sdwheaton at fuse.net
Thu Feb 6 21:05:27 UTC 2020

I have a pelican full of stuff that I carry all around the globe,
literally, been all the way around 2x+.

I have never lost things to airport thieves with the sole exception of
one small pouch of drill bits that might have been lost elsewhere.

The biggest concern might be that the TSA is not at all good at
re-packing things the way you had them in to start.  3 ideas for this,

1. put the meters in a smaller case that will protect them no matter how
they get stuffed in the main case.

2. if you can spare the room, get a case with the foam fillers/ trays
and give them a home in a cut out in the foam.

3. Carry a firearm, declare it and lock the case with your own lock that
TSA will not have a key for.  You can do this with a starter pistol or a
blank firing pistol or even an unfinished receiver, As long as it has a
serial number stamped on it, they will call it a gun and you get to lock
your case with a real lock.

I am currently starting to need to carry a liquid filled Hydraulic
pressure guage, and trying to work out how to keep it from getting
killed.  Option 3 is out for me because of international travel.

Stuart Wheaton