[SML] Favorite Disto Tool

JIM VOGEL james.vogel at wisc.edu
Tue Feb 25 14:56:29 UTC 2020

Something like this?
https://appcenter.bosch.com/details/-/app/BoschMeasureOn

From: Stagecraft <stagecraft-bounces at theatrical.net> On Behalf Of jdunfee12--- via Stagecraft
Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2020 8:55 AM
To: JIM VOGEL via Stagecraft <stagecraft at theatrical.net>
Cc: jdunfee12 at yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [SML] Favorite Disto Tool

On a related note, are there any distance meters out there, that have an application to integrate it into a drawing progam.  I have long hoped there would some day be a simple device, that would just scan a room, and quickly produce a usable 2D drawing.  But, that seems to be one of those elusive things that the marketing folks love to talk about.

The "Project Tango" was promoted as such, but in reality, it can only handle a small room, and its dimensions are too inaccurate to be useful.  This is especaily true for anything large, like a theater or warehouse.  In the professional 3D laser scanning industry, I recall the ads in the magazines, promising software that will automatically recognize pipes, c-channels, and I-beams.  But, at the time it was just marketing hype.

However, it has been several years since I investigated these things.  If anyone knows of a good system, even if it is not a full 3D scanner, that helps produce a quick drawing of a facility, please speak up.

Another tangent is, are there very cheap 3D scanners out there?  A cheap laser distance meter is under $100.  I am surprised you don't find cheap, but perhaps very slow, 3D scanners. Just spin one of those cheap distance meters around, and perhaps gradually increase its vertical target... and you have a 3D scanner.

-Joe