[SML] Printed drop

Jon Ares jonares at arescreative.com
Fri Jan 10 17:25:18 UTC 2020

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 8:42 AM Steven Mclean via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> I haven’t been active on list since leaving my job in academia last year & I am sorry for dredging up an old thread that I did not pay attention to when it last appeared several years ago.
>
> I have recently begun helping a startup theatre in sw florida, and they are wanting to source a printed 8’x 16’ drop of NYC buildings outside the window of a small set for Laughter on the 23 Floor.  Can anyone hook me up with contact information for reliable vendors.  BRW :  haven’t seen the artwork yet.

For something of that size, it could easily be printed on one piece of
vinyl by a local billboard/large format company - in my neck o' the
woods, I use Oregon Blue Print and Digital. Printing on vinyl is
pretty cheap, rather than printing on muslin or anything like that.
In recent years, they've been using a very matte finish of vinyl and
ink.  Before then, I used to have them print on the vinyl mesh fabric,
which looks like scrim, and the added "texture" helped break up the
shininess.  But now that they're using a more matte vinyl, I just use
that....

You can see some examples of vinyl printed pieces at my website
www.arescreative.com - Sound of Music, Urinetown, Thoroughly Modern
Millie, Music Man.... (Music Man's prints (in the library) are
re-purposed from Sound of Music.)

--
Jon Ares
www.arescreative.com