[SML] Wire junction

taco at peak.org taco at peak.org
Sat Jan 18 19:19:28 UTC 2020

Back at college, the prof told a story from his college days, about some gorilla pulling a heavy feeder cable across the floor on some temp installation. Coming across some obstruction that snagged the cable, he just pulled harder, hard enough to separate the cable from the snagged connector. The 240v bare wires weren't touching each other, but as they travelled across the floor, they were arcing and sparking as they shorted across the concrete, which politely disintegrated, breaking the circuit before the breaker tripped. He said there was about 4 feet of permanent scarred pitted concrete arc trail, and one hell of a smell, when the breaker finally went. The gorilla never even noticed, until he reeled in the cable at its destination.