[SML] Tips for Painting a concrete stage floor

Bill Conner billconnerastc at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 13:13:00 UTC 2020

I'd use PPG Breakthrough V50-410.  It's a black satin100% acrylic.  Follow
directions which are mostly cleaning.

Epoxy would probably be more durable, but touch up - like if they splatter
some scene paint - would not be easy.  One of the virtues of Breakthrough
is how well a spot touch up blends in. Though perhaps they will usually
build show floors over this and that could protect the epoxy from needing
frequent to.

I like satin because it looks clean from damp mopping or dust mop.  Flat
always seems to look dirty and streak, but it is a preference,
Breakthrough is available in flat as well.

On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 8:16 AM Steven Mclean via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Unlurking...
> I am helping the producer for a startup theatre company with some
> infrastructure concerns.  The Players Circle Theatre  in North Fort Myers,
> FL began operations last December, but due to Fire regulation concerns were
> not able to occupy their theatre for their first 2 productions.  After a
> fairly successful 3nd production, the pandemic closed them down on opening
> night of the 4th production (Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime).
>
> Since the company received relief funds, I am on staff this summer and the
> producer has tasked me with several incremental improvements to the space
> (which is a converted party/ballroom).  Among the tasks is to explore
> laying down a durable dark paint surface over the existing stained concrete
> slab floor.
>
> I don't have experience painting on an existing stained & finished
> concrete surface, but suspect that I will need to sand down the existing
> surface to at minimum rough up the surface to create sufficient tooth for
> subsequent paint.  I plan on renting one of those floor sanding/stripping
> tools to take off the existing finish & then apply a paint afterwards.
>
> I'd welcome comments & suggestions concerning:
> specification on stripping equipment
> suggestions on how close to bare concrete the surface should be
> suggestions on type of paint preferred for stage floor finish (epoxy,
> urethane, acrylic latex, etc...)
> suggestions on color of floor finish.  I am accustomed to black, but the
> producer is leaning towards a dark gray.
> suggestions on sheen.  I have usually done flat, but would consider a
> slight sheen if other's experience suggests that would be better.
>
> Thanks in advance for any input.
> --
> Steven J McLean
> 515-480-8461