[SML] Radio dramas over internet

Kristi R-C misswisc at aol.com
Fri Jul 31 15:11:23 UTC 2020

Richard - (and asking in public because I bet a bunch of others want to know, too.)

We know that to do a stage play (dramatico-musical work) you have to contract to pay royalties for Grand Rights to the author(s.) This is typically done through some rights administrator like Sam French, Tams-Witmark, Concord. And many authors have agreed to have a streaming version, some have even created a re-written version specifically for that purpose.

What happens when that work is being performed via a streaming platform like Zoom?  Certainly the rights holder still deserves compensation in some way - are those small rights then? Doesn't seem to be mechanical rights unless you are recording the stream.

What if you broadcast over the Radio -e.g. small town radio has the local HS cast of 4 in the studio to do a version of an old-time radio drama?

Anything else you can teach us about the brave new world of copyright and Streaming?
Thanks!
Kristi R-C