[SML] How to gauge the age of a Source Four?

Dale Farmer dale at cybercom.net
Fri May 1 20:47:38 UTC 2020

On 5/1/2020 12:09 PM, Jon Ares via Stagecraft wrote:
> Howdy all... are there any cast markings/numbers or other notations to
> determine an age of an ETC Source Four ellipsoidal body?
>
> Lens tubes have "Rev.[letter]"  - does anyone know the years different
> Revs were?  Anything like that on the bodies/barrels?
>
>   How about the S4Par?
>
> --
> Jon Ares
> www.arescreative.com <http://www.arescreative.com>

The source 4 middle bodies are, afaik, unchanged from the early days.
Single and double yoke bolt versions were the only distinctions, I can
recall.
  Reflector housings went through a couple of changes early on.  Main
one was adding baffles to the air vents facing back to reduce light
leaks.

The lens tube revs only matter when you have a broken one needing to be
replaced or your are changing the glass out of an existing lens tube.
ETC doesn't keep old revisions in stock, so you have to purchase a
matching pair of the newest revision, and the unbroken half of the old
lens tube goes into the bin of misfit parts, in hopes that it will be
useful for a future broken other half of the same revision lens tube.

trying to mate different revs of the left and right lens tube castings
is an exercise in futility.  they designed the mating lips of the two
castings so they only fit together properly with the same rev.   You can
force them to go together, but now the lens tube is out of round,
leading to glass falling out when it's bumped, and it won't fit into the
rest of the fixture easily.

The lamp caps are the old 575 watt or below only, 575/750s, and the
dimmer doubler ones.   There are lots of the old 575 caps around that
people drilled out to allow 750 lamps to fit, but they need that extra
heat sink and light blocking casting to handle the heat long term.  When
you don't have that extra heat sink, the heat messes up the dichroic
coating on the reflector, giving it a case of dandruff. (flakes falling
off)  At that point you have to replace the reflector, which is a bit
spendy.

Dale