[SML] How to gauge the age of a Source Four?

Jon Ares jonares at arescreative.com
Sun May 3 15:37:37 UTC 2020

On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 5:35 AM *Hobbit* via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> A vaguely related question, which I don't think I asked before ...
> I've found that some of the older 36-degree s4 units in particular were
> really hard to get focused right, like the optics were just screwed up
> somehow and beam edges always looked ugly no matter what I did ... and
> that included lamp optimization on the fly, which I got in the habit of
> doing routinely because I could usually get a lot more brightness out
> of every unit.  But the older 36es, usually units *without* the 750
> model caps, were just constantly balky and ugly and dim by comparison.

For what it's worth, I've never liked the look from a Source Four 36
degree, for exactly what you've described.  I also have no EDLT lenses, so
I don't know if that would make a difference. But like you said, the edges
were terrible, and trying to match fixtures was impossible.

--
Jon Ares
www.arescreative.com