[SML] Seating platforms

Dougherty, Jim jdougher at middlebury.edu
Thu May 21 19:19:10 UTC 2020

One of the very things I dislike about their carts is that most of the ones we have don't fit through doors.  Duh.  Another is the Z-frames propensity to smack fingers while carrying unless you tie/Velcro/bind them in the closed position until you're ready.

One of the very upgrades I like is that some of our carts have two wheels that you can toggle between smart and dumb by means of a decent spring latch on the caster. Another is that later Z-frames came with their own Velcro-closing HD nylon straps to keep them closed until you're ready.

I like the Z-frames in general, because you have one piece to set up a riser rather than multiple legs and it's easy to tell the sizes apart even without the handy numbers they print on some new ones.  It also makes putting together a pull list pretty easy - one frame per lid pulled.  They definitely stack, store and transport terribly.  I'll still recommend them as we've used them very happily for a couple two three years now.

- Jim Dougherty
Middlebury College Theatre Dept.

P.S. You can't put multiple-node tips on all the Z-frames - in my experience it's only the ones with the larger diameter leg tubes.  You could hypothetically hang intermediary lids using several of the extruded aluminum lid joiners, but the manufacturer doesn't recommend it.  Also hypothetically, they're not fun to get apart if you do.