[SML] lighting for video (from a live theatre background)

Stephen Litterst litterst.stagecraft at gmail.com
Tue May 26 12:54:02 UTC 2020

> On May 25, 2020, at 1:17 PM, Riter, Andrew via Stagecraft <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>
> The Front light for the 60’ apron is from 1 front of house cove (25’ wide) at a very high angle.  So High I need to fill in under the eyebrows with lower side lighting.  The apron is covered by (6) 10deg S4 with lots of overlap.
> Basically the edge of lamp is almost at the hotspot of the next.  Anyone walking across is pretty blippy (bright dark bright).  It’s noticeable to the eye, but I’m afraid of it looking worse on video.

First off, go with DV’s suggestion of bench focusing those 10 degrees.  Getting a good, flat field will do you a world of good.

You don’t say what the throw distance is for your FOH cove.  In a large concert hall, I feel like 6 - 10 degrees isn’t enough for a 60’ apron.  In my medium-sized theater I have that many washing the front of my 36’ stage.  Can you try an experiment with adding in more 10 degrees to see if you can even out some of your blips?

Steve L

Stephen Litterst
ETCP - Certified Entertainment Electrician
slitterst at gmail.com