[SML] lighting for video (from a live theatre background)

Riter, Andrew andrew.riter at ubc.ca
Tue May 26 22:43:21 UTC 2020

Hi Dorian

(It’s great to see the same people still here and active!)

60’ wide stage, 25’ wide cove.  6 lamps in the cove fanning out to cover. (so straight in @ 90deg perpendicular to the stage, lamps are at the centre of the room, pointing outwards L and R for the 1 and 6 areas).

There are catwalk sides 1 floor down.  What you gain by losing altitude you lose by moving closer to stage.
3 lamps per side.  They do a Left/Centre/Right wash with 19 and 14deg lenses.  House hang is with a light lav on one side and a light pink on the other.  Pulling gel and running open white (with frost) is an option.  I need to play with levels to make the near shot and far shot equal intensity.  Also the near shots are (a little bit) under a “Royal Box” or Juliet box of audience seating.

But even here, the 19deg don’t have enough punch by themselves, but the 14 deg is too concentrated.  I considered ETC zooms looong time ago for the position, but that would only work on one catwalk where you could reach the zoom controls without reaching around to the far side of the barrel.  If I add a heavier frost (R119 or R114) the intensity drops too much (in my mind, need to get a light meter and confer with camera crew.  (already lamped with 750w)

There is a followspot booth on center, but only 20’ wide (give or take).  Only 2 dimmers, but with DMX I can do something in there (same height as the catwalk sides).  It’s been an idea to put a key-klamp ladder in there for years, but it would kill the use the followspots.

A truss mid room is interesting.  Depends on where it needs to go, how it blocks audience sight lines from upper balcony (it will if it’s at a preferable / usable angle).  Then how to get the ladder to it and hide the ladder when in show mode . . ..   all the fun considerations that Artistic types don’t like (seeing ladders, seeing cable swags, seeing a TRUSS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROOM OMG!)

2 short truss sticks L and R perpendicular from the catwalk sides (or just below) may start to look interesting . .. . . .

1 question is:  if I frost stuff out, and flare spills all over the maple wood and concrete architecture, how much of that will fade away in the camera wide shots and a) be OK, b) be horrible c) be present or d) be “dark”.

Thanks everyone.

Andrew M. Riter
Chan Centre

604-808-2033 (working from home)