[SML] OSHA Industrial Fall Protection

NODEraser noderaser at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 21:43:46 UTC 2020

Good Morning OSHA Gurus,

I have a question about the requirements for fall protection under
OSHA; I remember a discussion a few years ago about fall protection on
platforms, and remember there was an exemption for areas that were not
"general access". In my current place of employment
(non-theatre/production) there is an upcoming meeting about the fall
protection requirements for work on the roof of transportable
shelters. We have two types; a vehicle-mounted shelter, and ISO-type
containers, both of which have antennas that get installed on the
roof.

There has been light discussion about this in the past, and it's
generally been regarded as unfeasible (jokes about clipping a harness
into a "skyhook", etc) but it sounds like they're actually getting
pretty serious about it. I imagine there is probably already some kind
of standard or exemption that exists in industry; I'm thinking about
trucking and climbing on top of trailers such as tankers for
inspection and loading.

I'm looking at the various sections (the general 1910 in particular)
and can't find that kind of language anymore. Perhaps someone more
familiar with OSHA and its intracacies has some ideas?

TIA

[Greg Bennett]
-Independent Carpenter, Electrician & Lighting Designer
-Purveyor of Classic Apple & Macintosh Gear
http://www.hsiprodsvcs.com/
http://www.macshack.us/