[SML] battery charging protocol

Paul Guncheon pguncheon at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 16:05:38 UTC 2020

Aloha,

What is the current thinking (no pun intended, but I'll take it) with
regard to charging the various rechargeable batteries and devices one runs
across these days? It used to be one was to drain the battery as much as
possible before charging. Then I was informed that this could result in
reversing the voltage in one or more of the cells, rending the
battery useless.

Then I was told to charge a battery at the first sign of a fall off in tool
performance, but to let the battery cool first.

I am under the impression that one should not keep the battery in the
charger nor should one charge a battery 'before' it demonstrates that fall
off in performance.

So what's the real deal?

Laters,

Paul 1