[SML] OSHA Industrial Fall Protection

NODEraser noderaser at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 06:07:15 UTC 2020

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 8:46 PM Dale Farmer via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Ah.  These are more like antenna masts.  I was envisioning something
> relatively light like a CB radio antenna.    Okay.
>
> How about a railing system.  Stanchion at each corner that locks into
> the stacking brackets of the container.  Kevlar cables strung to create
> the rails and not interfere with the RF patterns, similar to what they
> put on navy ships.   Probably will need a stanchion every ten feet or so
> along the long edge, so some additional welding work needed to make post
> holes, as it were.   If the thing doesn't need to remain ISO container
> external stacking standards and highway clearances, just leave the
> railings permanent.
>    Might be able to adapt the railing systems used for construction
> scaffolding, if RF interference isn't an issue. Make the spare parts
> issues for the inevitable replacements needed a lot simpler.   Those
> railings should stand up to most winds, so they wouldn't have to come
> down for storms.
>
> Weld a anchor point to the center of the roof.  Hook a yoyo to that, the
> other end to the fall arrest harness.   Won't keep the person from
> falling off the edge, but should keep them from hitting the ground.
>
> Hope these ideas help.
>
> Dale

The tall ones are multi-element antennas. The structure that I've
mostly been talking about is a vehicle-mounted shelter that doesn't
have the ISO pockets, so adding railings or stanchions would take
modification that requires authorizations to go way up the chain. The
roof is an aluminum honeycomb/sandwich material, so welding isn't an
option even if we got the ok. Our PTB doesn't even want to go the fall
arrest route, due to adding requirements for training, gear
inspection, etc. which is why we're probably just going to remove the
antennas from the roof.

[Greg Bennett]
-Independent Carpenter, Electrician & Lighting Designer
-Purveyor of Classic Apple & Macintosh Gear
http://www.hsiprodsvcs.com/
http://www.macshack.us/