[SML] Saws-all

Tim Catlett tmcatlett at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 22:31:19 UTC 2020

Hello all,

I had replied to Loren directly with a photo, but I had forgotten the size
limits on images for the Mailing List. Our incomparable friend Noah
reminded me and was kind enough to resize the photo attached. I'm finally
getting back to reposting.

I must say that this tool was always sort of a tool "Holy Grail" for me
ever since I was one of the TDs at Shorewood High School (Shorewood, WI).
For those who haven't used one, it feels like playing a video game and
woodworking at the same time. I know that in this time of cheaper CNC,
lasers-cutting, etc., this tool is rather outdated, but it is truly a
marvel. It is especially so given the number/styles of blades available for
different materials. I remember one year we built a massive set for a
production of Candide. Appropriately, there was a huge load of ornate work
which was either static, flown-in, or sliding in on wagons or track-sleds.
It was all cut out of 3/16" Luaun and then painted dimensionally by some of
our brilliant HS techs. Had it not been for this tool, the set would not
have been able to be accomplished. I think that it went through a full bunk
of Luaun for that show alone, though over the years it did so much more.
The students absolutely LOVED using it, and so did I.

[image: K-11 Cutawl.jpg]

I finally found this one for a reasonable price in an online auction from a
closing signage company. I've been spending time restoring and upgrading it
(it now has LEDs in the light sockets). I can't wait to have a project to
use it on, even though I definitely have access to CAD solutions. It's just
so fun to operate and I think everyone needs to love tools enough to
appreciate this particular one.

Best regards all, and I hope you are all well during these craziest of
times for our biz and family,

*Tim Catlett*
*Lizard's Dream Theatrical, LLC*
Consultant, Production Manager & Technical Director
Brooklyn, NY
Mobile: 414.975.4424
tmcatlett at gmail.com