[SML] battery packs for practicals

Jerry Durand jdurand at durandinterstellar.com
Wed Sep 30 17:28:15 UTC 2020

I've seen an AMAZING number of bad battery chargers.  I used an off the
shelf (COTS) self contained charge controller chip for a customer and in
the prototypes the lithium batteries started getting bloated.  No fires,
but that should NOT happen with chips that are sold as complete charging
solutions.  Especially since these batteries had the protection boards
built-in.

On the next project for a customer that needed two 18650 batteries, I
decided to not trust the commercial chips and wrote my own charge
control routine in the processor with several safety checks and only
charged to "mostly full" instead of trying for the most possible.  Happy
to say the customer has had these running for over a year with daily
charge cycles and hasn't reported any problems.

So, it still seems true that if you want it done right, do it yourself.

--
Jerry Durand, WhatsApp, Telegram, VK, signal
www.DurandInterstellar.com & www.Durandinterstellar.ru