[SML] Dr Doom

Bill Sapsis bill at sapsis-rigging.com
Sun Aug 22 19:32:52 UTC 2021

The passing of an icon.

Randy was at the forefront of safety awareness in the entertainment world.  His forceful nature and his rhetoric were exactly what was needed at the time to begin the attempt to change an entire industry’s culture.  Safety prior to Randy didn’t exist.  We worked long hours in unsafe conditions with hazardous materials and thought nothing of it.  No harnesses.  No masks, no PPE.  His work laid the foundation for change.  A change that was a long time coming, but today, even though we still have a ways to go, safety awareness is relatively commonplace.  And we have Randy to thank for that.

Randy was a complex individual and his philosophy and his methods provided me with an impetus to begin my own work in rigging safety.   And for that push I am very grateful.

Rest in peace, oh purple one.  You done good.

It is ordained that we all have a limited time here on this planet.  Randy has had his time, as have Jay, Harry and a number of others.  My question now, while we honor Randy’s memory, is who will follow in his footsteps?  Monona shows no signs of slowing down nor do I plan to go quietly into the night any time soon.  But the years are piling up on us.  Who will continue the work that Randy started and others have continued?

Bill

bill at sapsis-rigging.com<mailto:bill at sapsis-rigging.com>
http://sapsis-rigging.com
+1.267.278.4561 mobile