[SML] Question about codes

Sean McCarthy seanrmccarthy at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 18:01:48 UTC 2021

What is the engineering consideration for 3'-6" vs. 5' wide?  There's
certainly a lot more weight an end user could cram into a 5' catwalk ;)

As for the raceway:  You can't know everything that will be attempted in a
venue when designing it.  Putting a large obstruction all the way across a
catwalk vs 3 or 4 small boxes with the circuits clustered together seems
like a better option (in terms of usability in the future, etc).  I can't
tell you how many times I've had to lean out around/under/on top of a
raceway to hang a light, focus a light, or rig something.

My favorite design in a FOH catwalk is 3 boxes per catwalk with 10 circuits
each; each pigtail can reach more than halfway to the next box (so there's
rarely a need for jumpers).  The boxes are 12"x12" and are almost entirely
out of the way of everything other than top-hanging a light directly below
them.

--Sean