[SML] LED back-lighitng for window

Bill Conner billconnerastc at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 19:04:11 UTC 2021

Just on the dimming issue, if it claims and is close to 1%, of lumens, then
it will look like around 10% to the eye; 10% of lumens - your fixture that
claims dimming to10% - will look like 30%. Google dimmed vs. perceived
light for more.

For houselights I'm always specifying dimming to 0.1% - which looks like
about 1% and doesn't pop on and off too badly - and electricians and
architects don't understand why 1% isn't good enough.  Well,use to specify
and defend those days are past.

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 1:40 PM Stephen Lee via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Joe wrote:
>
> I need to do some windows with back lighting in a situation with limited
> space behind the window.
>

> It's a bit unconventional, but large flat screen LCD tv's have gotten
> cheap enough that I've seen them put to good use in this scenario. (Talk
> about a new application for using Windows...)
>
> You can use them to place an image or outdoor scene there, or it can have
> just a plain solid white jpeg at wherever color you want. They're not
> bright enough to illuminate objects unless the lighting around it is dim,
> but they're fine for direct-viewing. You could put up some very sheer
> curtains to help filter the image if it looks too fake.

Bill Conner Fellow of the ASTC