[SML] An Apology-redux

David Fox David.Fox at etcconnect.com
Fri Feb 19 23:34:33 UTC 2021

Suffice to say I take it very seriously when someone tells me that I have offended them.

Even more so when they express their feelings in a public forum of my peers and those would hope to call friends..

Additionally, I refrain from either expressing my opinion or offering a defense as to the reason for their offense. Intent matters not.

I will believe them when they say my words sparked an unintended emotional reaction, and for that I will tender an apology.
(see the last 48 hours as an example)

10 years ago David would not have done any of that and would have instead gone into Frank Wood levels of defense and denial as to why they were wrong to be offended. That it was their fault for being hurt. And that somehow I am the injured party for having to suffer their accusations. Then maybe a good long pout.

But now I believe that everyone's feelings are valid regardless of my opinions of them. And I do not get to decide whether or not they are allowed to feel hurt by my words and deeds.  I've like grown and shit.

In this case, as it turned out, the offence and demand that I be banned was both false and an ill-conceived attempt at humor.

I could be upset, or even offended by the false accusation, but I choose instead to feel justified in my initial actions.
I owned it, I owned up to it and offered a sincere apology, I opened the door to discuss it so I could learn from my error and now.. I choose to move past it.

And that's all the adult I have left in me for this week. Imma go play video games with a mass quantity of fermented drinky drink now.

It is important to note that the opinions of the individual and those of their employer are not always aligned.

What you have read should be construed as my opinion and not the opinion of my employer.

If you don't like or agree with my thoughts and musings, I am the one you should take to task and not the nice people who pay me.

Be Seeing You
David