[SML] Venue/Landlord pay millions for Circus Rigging error

Steven Santos steven at simplycircus.com
Fri Jan 8 23:37:32 UTC 2021

A big part of this is the contract terms.   According to some media
reports, the PCC's contract made them responsible for ALL rigging.

Definitions matter when it comes to the law.   Defining who is
responsible for what really matters.

If it were to have been properly defined in the contract, the outcome would
likely have been far different.

Now, if it were properly defined, and then local crew got in the middle of
it, you would have a whole other set of issues.

Rigging: The Venue is responsible for all attachments made directly to the
buildings structure.  This includes the attachment of the clients chain
hoist(s) to the building structure and operation of the chain hoists.  The
tour shall utilize the Venue's riggers for the assembly and raising of all
truss structures before the show.  The tour is responsible for all human
rigging (acrobatic rigging, aerial rigging, performer flying and similar
rigging) from the truss down.

That kind of language would have been a game changer.

Unless every venue is going to have an aerial rigger in every time they
have a circus type show in.