[SML] job ethics

Lou Poppler LouPoppler at cableone.net
Fri Jan 15 03:17:24 UTC 2021

I've worked many political rallies, in many venues, over many years, and I agree
it's just another gig.  You take the call, and give it your professional best.
Of course, there may be some critical chatter on headset, or at the bar
afterward.  In theory, our political system works by giving candidates from any
side, or any party, the right to make their case to the voters, who then decide.
If a little flattering lighting or flattering EQ or fancy graphics and videos
contribute to their ability to make their case, then good job by us for helping.

Similarly, I've worked big budget hunting shows without being a hunter, and gay
extravaganzas without being gay, "lifestyles" conventions without taking off my
clothes, every kind of convention or trade show.  Repeat after me: "It's just
another show."

There are times when it feels a little creepy.  I'll give 2 examples.

I worked Jay Van Andel's 80th birthday party in Grand Rapids, a big budget
production attracting the very top tiers of the Amway world.  In this case it
was a room full of very successful, very rich people celebrating one of their
heroes.  That is not creepy, it's happy and respectful.  OTOH, other times I
worked many low-level Amway meetings, supposedly held to congratulate the
success of bottom rungs on the company hierarchy, but also serving as
recruitment events for the next crop of "businessmen," many of whom will come
away from their time in the organization without becoming rich, some even
suffering a net loss.  This is, if not creepy, at least cold-blooded.

>From time to time, a gospel music act would appear in one of our venues, and the
shows would have a small-town feel-good quality.  Say a benediction, pass the
hat, everybody goes home happy, even the spot-ops.  OTOH I remember working an
event in the college basketball arena, a multi-faith sponsored experience to
help troubled teenagers get their lives straightened out.  It was a big event
with many hundreds of teens in the audience.  The road crew was a few churchy
adults, and many young travelling "volunteers".  As the show alternated between
soothing music with dim lights, then lights up on stage and stern sounding
adults talking angrily about bad choices and good choices, then lights down and
more soothing music, then a scary video, etc, etc.  After a while it occurred to
your humble house-lights guy, that this is the classic formula for brainwashing.
 And sure enough, the young attendees were offered the chance to join the corps
of "volunteers" and travel with the show, for their own good, to help them sort
out their problems.  ... I made some money on that one, but felt a little dirty.