[SML] Smoke, heat, fire sensors for HVAC systems

Bill Conner billconnerastc at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 20:28:34 UTC 2021

I don't recall the details but return air systems adobe a certain size are
required to have smoke detectors by NFPA 72 - The National Fire Alarmand
Signalling Code - widely adopted by most jurisdictions in the US.  I
believe you can use heat detectors (most all today are combination fixed
temperature and rate of rise) anywhere else in an assembly occupancy.

It's been on my list to work on - a change to NFPA 72 to make this easier -
at least make the disabling of return air smoke detectors a right rather
than a variance - but have not gotten to it yet.  Working on a bunch of IBC
changes now, and some refinements to Life Safety Code later this year.

The deadline to submit proposals to change NFPA72 is I believe June 10, for
the 2024 edition.  Not hard to do - all on line - and just demonstrating
the problem to the committee is a step in right direction.

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 2:49 PM Jerry Durand via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Consider it a system test, if the smoke detectors DON'T trigger, they're
> broken.  So the Fire Watch is part of maintenance budget.
>
> On 1/25/21 11:39 AM, Riter, Andrew via Stagecraft wrote:
> > But failing that, some sort of "fire watch" with a disabled / silenced
> panel is often the typical solution.
> >

> --
> Jerry Durand, WhatsApp, Telegram, VK, signal, Parler
> www.DurandInterstellar.com & www.Durandinterstellar.ru

Bill Conner Fellow of the ASTC