[SML] Smoke, heat, fire sensors for HVAC systems

Duncan Mahoney dmahoney at usc.edu
Tue Jan 26 21:01:26 UTC 2021

We have different systems in a couple of our venues.

In our main stage we did a many years long program of gradually changing out the smoke detectors to heat sensors.  Every time we set off the alarm with atmospherics the sensors that alarmed would be studied by the fire alarm engineers and replaced if possible.  It took several tries, and there are still some smoke detectors in the building, but we have not set off the alarm with atmospherics in quite a while

In our newest theater in a multi-use building we have a bypass switch for the smoke detectors in the theater and HVAC.  Bypassing the detectors sends a "trouble" message to the alarm center, so the Stage Manager has to place a phone call before turning the key in the switch.  The smoke detectors in the rest of the building remain active so we have had some alarm activations when the actors and crew get careless about leaving the backstage doors open and let the atmospherics escape into the hallway

Duncan Mahoney
Head of Technical Direction
Professor of Theatre Practice
University of Southern California School of Dramatic Arts