[SML] Producing a Play

Ford Sellers fsellers at chauvetlighting.com
Mon Jul 12 16:55:41 UTC 2021

Not to be too contrarian, but that's a really broad question.
Variables which would impact cost would include:
How are you defining non-professional?  I've seen Highschool Musicals which rival many "Professional theatres" in terms of gear, and venue specifications (with great non-professional crews, too).
Would this include renting and/or purchasing lighting and sound equipment?
Different plays have different fees to secure the rights...
Staffing... depending on the scale of the production, you may have drastically different staffing requirements (Deck hands, Costumes, follow-spots, etc.).  Is the staff getting paid, all volunteer, or some split?
Live music, or pre-recorded?

All of these would have major impacts on cost.