[SML] Zip Tie Ends

David Fox David.Fox at etcconnect.com
Thu Jun 3 12:57:13 UTC 2021

[uncloaking]

A. Flush whenever possible
	A zip tie gun is a totally worthy investment as it will pull tight and cut leaving flush smooth ends

However also D
	I have gone off zip ties especially for low voltage and data cable bundles. Have found that tightening the tie enough to get it snug and a flush cut can actually damage the cables. 	Especially Cat 5 and 5e to the point where they can break.

Have moved instead to Velcro One Wrap cable ties. . I started seeing them being used by IT installers on job sites or specified in equipment racks by people who were tired of broken cables when KONG terminated the cables.

The 8x1/2" come in rolls of 100 for less than $15.00. You can pull a single one or make it longer as needed. One end has a hole so you can thread it either to use as a way to coil the cable to really secure a bundle.

Because Velcro they are repositionable and therefore easy to add that cable you forgot. They are also strong enough to hold stuff.
Because theatre they are black. But you can get other colors.
Because cheap, they are completely expendable.
They feed my OCD in really good ways.

Link to the manufacturer below  for all the sizes but you can find these at just about any office supply store.
https://www.velcro.com/products/double-sided-velcro-tape/900605__one-wrap-ties?shape=ties&size=8in-x-1-2in&color=multi-color

__________________________
It is important to note that the opinions of the individual and those of their employer are not always aligned.

What you have read should be construed as my opinion and not the opinion of my employer.

If you don't like or agree with my thoughts and musings, I am the one you should take to task and not the nice people who pay me.

Be Seeing You
David
He/him/his
__________________________

[cloaking]
<snip>
Once you've secured the zip tie around the bundle, what style do you use in cutting off the excess?

A) Flush to the ratchet mechanism?
B) 1/4" (or so) away from the mechanism?
C) As B, but with a 45 degree angle?
D) Other

And:
Is there a specific reason you do it that way?

I usually do A myself because I've gotten many scratches/cuts from B & C. I've encountered a lot of category C lately and I am glad the first aid kit is stocked.

Just curious as to what people do.

Thanks,
Tim
<snip>