[SML] Speaking of bundling data cables....

Dale Farmer dale at cybercom.net
Sat Jun 5 20:11:34 UTC 2021

On 6/5/2021 12:23 PM, Jon Ares via Stagecraft wrote:
> A minor tangent.  Any recommendations on labels//labeler material that
> sticks/lasts longer on CAT 6 cables?  I'm finding my Dymo/Rhino labels
> are not sticking on newer CAT 6 and DMX cables... they must be
> jacketed in some type of plastic that's more resistant to goo, or
> something.
>
> I've got a Rhino and a Dymo that use the same cartridge, and the
> facility also has a P-Touch that most likely uses a different
> cartridge... and the labels stick just fine to most things, but not my
> newer CAT 6 and DMX cables.  I like to label them both for use (DMX)
> and length.

The "self laminating" type cable labels work well for me.  There is a
printing area, the a clear area that wraps around the cable and covers
over the printed area to protect it.   If your cable has jackets with
teflon in it, then I haven't found yet a label adhesive that lasts a
long time.  The self laminating type labels won't stick to the cable
jacket long term, but they do stick to themselves so they don't fall off
the cable except in high heat enviroments.

You can get them in sheets to use in a regular printer, and in rolls
that fit in the various thermal transfer printers.

If these cables are going into physically abusive enviroments, like
touring or rental service, then find some clear shrink tubing that is
3:1 or 4:1 shrink ratio.  That will fit over the connector and shrink
down to the cable.  then lay a bead of hot glue over the label and while
it's still liquid, slide the clear heat shrink over it, then shrink it
down.  the hot glue will spread out as the tube shrinks down, and takes
up any residual space to keep the tube from sliding around.
    If the tubing is still not shrinking tight.   Lay a spiral layer or
two of friction tape around the cable keeping it even.   Apply label on
top of friction tape, then the heat shrink tubing with hot glue.

Dale