[SML] While on the CD-80 topic...

*Hobbit* hobbit at avian.org
Mon Sep 20 09:46:56 UTC 2021

I'm lighting a small community-theatre show this/next month too, and they
have three 24-ch CD80 racks stacked up in a kind of unistrut shelf assembly
and all hardwired in.  Now y'all have me terrified that if one of them
eventually needs repair of any sort, it's gonna be a bear to get to... even
just to clean the dust out would be tough.

Anyway, the folks there do commit the "cardinal sin" of running 120V power for
a handful of nondim devices from a dimmer output parked full-up, so I wanted
to see just how bad that might be and brought a scope in one afternoon.

I was happy to observe that between about 95% and full, the last artifact
of the triac switching essentially disappears, leaving a beautiful clean
sinewave coming out of it.  Same thing if the channel test button is toggled
in.  I attribute that partially to the solid, workhorse engineering of the
CD80 family.  So not only am I much more confident that the theatre company
isn't going to blow up their LED pars, I moved a couple of other bibs and
bobs to be powered by a similar setup since that was quite a bit easier than
finding another nondim circuit around the stage.  The place has plenty of
twistlock --> edison adapters...

Probably wouldn't try it with a cheaper variant of pack, but you never know
until you actually look.

_H*