[SML] We need a new cyc

Jon Ares jonares at arescreative.com
Wed Sep 29 17:36:56 UTC 2021

Thanks Dave and all... I've been following this thread because I'd
like to get my Powers That Be to replace my cyc in the near future. We
have a (lovely) leno-filled scrim, but ever since it was
washed/retreated a few years ago, it's horribly, and unevenly
stretched out - SR is about 8 inches longer than SL....lots of
hourglassing, though that's mask-able... So, just looking at the
options for me to pitch.  As a lighting designer, I love the texture
of the leno-filled scrim, and we're really lucky that we haven't
suffered any spills/stains/rips, but good to look at options. The
twin-white projection surface is very appealing.

 - Jon

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 5:00 AM David Bowman <dmbowman at syr.edu> wrote:

> Jon,
>
> To answer your questions:
> 1. I would assume so, but that's a question for your favorite dealer.  Ours is 25x40, but that's based on the room we use it in.
> 2. Sort of.  There are "seams" where the material was fused/welded together, BUT unless you are standing within 5-10 feet of it, they basically disappear at distance.  Front project and/or put a scrim in front of it and you don't see them even at that close a range.
> 3. No different than a pipe pocket at the bottom of a scrim, muslin drop or other type of cyc material. Yes, it's "darker" there because of the folded over material (and the pipe), but for looks, it looks no different than a "traditional" material with a pipe pocket. We have used it with and without a physical ground row. If I had to say anything what's more annoying is finding the humidity warps in the maso decking creating tiny light leaks at the bottom when you are eye level with the deck. A VERY slight overhaul tug on the line tends to fix that.
>
> Dave B.
>
> David M. Bowman
> Master Electrician/Lighting and Projections Supervisor
> Part-Time Instructor
> Syracuse Stage and S.U. Drama
> dmbowman at syr.edu

Jon Ares