[SML] Creating Fake Neon Sign

Joe jdunfee12 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 9 21:22:05 UTC 2022

As a caution to some younger folks out there.  Be sure to research the technology you are trying to replicate, before trying to do it.  Yes, you may make significant modificaitons to make it easier to do, or to use alternative methods. But, at least know what compromises you are making and don't make blatant mistakes.

When I was looking at the LED, fake neon options, I was amused by some of it.  I was reminded of a young person I saw, who was making a fake silent-movie camera.  Their first error was not understanding that the film holder couldn't be exposed to light (like the old projectors they had seen). They understood and accepted my explanation as to why. But, after that, they wouldn't believe me when I said the lens had to be inline with the film. They had a picture of a camera that had multiple lenses on a turret, and the smaller lens didn't show up on the picture, so I let that one go.  But, they needed to get a better grasp of the technology.

The same happened with some LED based fake neon examples I ran across. They didn't realize that they are trying to simulate a glass tube that was carefully bent to make the shape. Cuts were to be avoided.  And since each end treatment took some space, you often ended by giving the tube a sharp turn down away from the front. If two tubes had to cross, you normally just let one tube go below the other.  If you needed a short length without any glow, you just painted that part black. You didn't cut the glass, form a new connection on it, and then do the same where the light had to be glowing 1/2" away. Each segment of neon glass took a fair amount of work to make, so you tried hard to just keep it one continuous tube.
With the great wealth of information available on the Internet, there is no excuse for not checking out the authentic technology. See how it was done historically, before trying to make a replica of it.

-Joe