[SML] Big book spines

Jon Ares jonares at arescreative.com
Fri Aug 26 17:21:21 UTC 2022

Howdy all....  looking for suggestions on making up (fairly easy)
giant book spines.  I mean BIG book spines. Ok, not 20 feet tall - but
realistic spines on 3-4 inch thick "books" that will look like a
casually-stacked books that actors stand/sit etc on. I can manage the
"guts" of the books/stacks of books, just looking for suggestions of
what the spines can be formed with. I may even make some steps (step
facing) look like book spines. So those would be more like 7-8 inches
thick spines.

I want that gentle curve of the book spine to show, so no, I am not
going to merely take a rehearsal cube and paint spines and pages on
them.... I want to have the ability to create what looks like casually
stacked books.  I also need to create a fair amount, so I am hoping
for methods that aren't something labor-intensive: days of shaping
styro, coating with bondo, and more days of sanding. (I'm fine with
covering the resulting "book" with muslin and painting - just need to
batch these out pretty expediently.)

I figured some of you have done this, either for shows, or store
displays, or....

Thanks for any ideas!

--
Jon Ares