[SML] Stained Glass using Fluorescent or other methods

Joe jdunfee12 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 27 18:07:44 UTC 2022

For a community theater type of project, I am seeking to make several stained-glass panels, approx 2'w x 6'h.  The catch is that I am trying to avoid backlighting it.  I imagine I might be able to use UV light and light it from the front.
I tried contacting printers, to see if they could do a print using UV inks. But, I didn't find any.  Then, I figured I could do a transparent print, and just put it in front of a back cloth, that is fluorescent. And then lighting from the front would illuminate the fluorescent backing, which would illuminate the transparent print.  However, I know many printing materials, both ink and the substrate, have UV blockers.
But, since I may have plenty of volunteer labor, I am also looking at DIY approaches.

I am considering using cotton cloth, which is itself fluorescent. Then paint the lead portions with dark gray t-shirt paint, which will act like the resist used in silk painting. (it keeps the less viscus ink from wicking outside its border). Fill in the colors using plain gelatin colored with food colors. Finally, front lighting it with UV light.
I was considering gelatin because it is flexible when dry, so I can roll up my stained-glass windows for storage.  Also, all the paints I have seen for making fake stained-glass come in tiny 2 oz bottles, and would cost  much more than the gelatin.  But, I am a little concerned if it would be viable to roll this up and not have things stick.  Or if critters would be attracted to the plain gelatin even if it has no flavoring or sugar.
Before I dig in, and start with some experiments, anyone have other ideas or suggestions?

-Joe