[SML] Olio/Oleo Drop photos?

Dan Sheehan dsheehan.sml at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 17:48:13 UTC 2022

This might help.
 At least it satisfied my curiosity as to what an olio drop is.
Turns out I have such a rig in my theatre,  Works nicely.
I got some 4" dia irrigation pipe (from an agricultural equip supplier).
4" sched 40 PVC was too floppy.
=====
Stages with low ceilings:

Spaces with low ceilings present a particularly challenging situation for
those wishing to use backdrops. An olio drop is a perfect solution for
stage areas with no fly space. The overhead structure will need to support
the entire weight of the drop and its required mechanical parts. The top
line of the drop itself must be tied to something rigid like a wooden
batten or a metal pipe that is properly attached to the ceiling or other
overhead grid-like structure.
The only moving parts attached overhead will be the pulleys needed to
reroute the pathway of the operating lines. The other major moving part is
the roll tube, which is attached to the bottom of the drop.
Olio Drop in Action

Here’s a great example of an Olio Drop in action found on YouTube.

Unfortunately, the YouTube user hasn’t published any information about
themselves, so I can’t give them proper credit. Here’s their channel link.
https://www.youtube.com/user/C4spi3n/

Notice how well the windows unroll.

There’s a thunder clap at 5 seconds in. You may want to turn your volume
down.

HTH

Dan Sheehan