[SML] Smoke vs Heat vs Rate of Rise detectors

Dale Farmer dale at cybercom.net
Wed Mar 9 02:29:04 UTC 2022

On 3/8/2022 9:35 AM, Dougherty, Jim via Stagecraft wrote:
> I'll second the recommendation to include your AHJ, your alarm system contractor, and your Powers That Be early in the process.  Demonstrate the atmospheric effects that you use in your space - fog and haze will false trip many systems.  We underwent an upgrade some years ago and the decision was made to try a camera-based system; it was meant to be able to detect fire and flame by analyzing the video image (not a fire system engineer, don't know the details) specifically to avoid false activations through what we do.  It was pricey, we were early adopters, and it was a big investment.  Long story short, it didn't work.  It thought moving draperies/fog/a patron fanning themselves with a program were all flame and we experienced many false alarms, mid-show.  However, because communication was good throughout we ended up with a solution that works.  They were able to pull that system out and replace with other compliant equipment - primarily heat and rate-of-rise based.  The o!
>   nly trips we've had since were faulty sensors that were replaced and the troubles ceased.
>
> Regarding the mist systems mentioned, I like the idea but why distilled water? Is there a large reservoir somewhere in the building to draw from? I'd think any benefit of it being distilled might go away over time in storage.
>
> - Jim Dougherty
> Middlebury College Theatre Dept.
>
> _____
   the reason for the distilled water, and yeah there is a storage tank
that has to be periodically drained and refilled, is to make the system
safe for use on energized electrical equipment.  Once the tank is
drained, it switches over to regular water supply.   Regular water mist
will have enough trace chemicals in it to cause short circuits in
energized electrical gear. Especially if your area has hard water.

   The systems are sized such that it will extinguish expected fires, or
contain them long enough for fire response to show up.  The huge benefit
is that unlike halon systems, it is perfectly harmless to the meat
machines that are also in the space, so you don't need to wait for the
people to evacuate and the fire to get worse before release.

There is a video from a cruise line that was retrofitting these into all
their ships.  They had engine room fires on a ship with a conventional
halon system and one with the water mist system installed. Both very
similar causes, a leaking diesel fuel spraying inside the engine.   The
halon sysstem worked, and the fire was put put.  The ship needed
emergency dry docking and was out of service for three months while the
contents of that engine room got replaced.   Several millions in direct
damage repairs, tens of millions of refunds of cruise tickets for that
three month period.   The ship with the water mist system.  Fire was out
before the firefighting team made entry.   Damage was confined to one
cylinder of one of the two engines in that engine room, cleanup and
repairs were completed at the next port call, mostly because they had to
order the parts.  No lost time, repairs cost a few thousand bucks,
cleanup was done with mops, buckets and rags by ships crew.

Here is the video.  They had a camera in the engine room that showed the
fire breaking out and being extinguished by the HI_FOG system.
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKXiNdJMhgA

Also here is an article about a system installed in a historic property
in the US.
https://www.securitysystemsnews.com/article/thomas-jefferson-s-home-gets-marioff-water-mist-system

Dale