[SML] Smoke vs Heat vs Rate of Rise detectors

Dale Farmer dale at cybercom.net
Thu Mar 10 02:33:37 UTC 2022

On 3/9/2022 11:30 AM, Stephen Lee via Stagecraft wrote:
> George Davidson wrote:
>
>> One note we were always given is that the mist systems displace the
>> oxygen, so get the hell out if it goes off.
>

> I think whoever said that was conflating water mist systems with
> something else. Yes, Carbon Dioxide extinguishers (and many other gases,
> for that matter) will displace oxygen. Yes, Halon and it's newer flavors
> will bind to oxygen and render it useless. Fires, of course, will
> consume oxygen.

   Part of the firefighting effect is that the boiling of the water
droplets at the actual fire location converts that water into steam,
expanding I forget how many thousand percent.  That will cause a
localized displacement of the air. A person close enough to be bothered
by the lack of oxygen is probably more concerned with being incinerated
by the fire.
    As the fire gets knocked down, it stops boiling as many droplets,
and fresh air will get sucked in as the heated air and steam rise up.
Thus it will flash back up as the oxygen becomes available.  Thats why
in that fire video you see the flames flare up and die down several
times before the fire gets extinguished.
   Maritime trivia.  Older ships used to use steam from the boilers as a
firefighting agent in cargo and bilge fires.   That would indeed
displace all the air in a confined space, But no worries, any people
would be cooked by the live steam before they asphyxiated.
   Some dry bulk cargo ships now use a nitrogen gas inerting system in
cargos that are prone to auto ignition.  Grain carriers especially, as
this also has a side effect of killing off any unwelcome critters that
came along with the grain, satisfying the international trade
requirement that cargos be free of vermin.
    Water mist systems are replacing halon and CO2 systems, which are
much more immediately lethal to people without breathing apparatus.

Dale