[SML] video camera setup for video monitoring stage from the obstructed booth

Steven Mclean stevenjmclean at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 18:15:57 UTC 2022

All,
I am sure this issue has been covered ad nauseum, but it has been a while
since I saw the subject and even longer since I was faced with addressing
this issue.

At the small independent theatre in Southwest Florida that I am now working
with, we have a situation where the SM & board ops will have a partially
obstructed view of some portions of the set for an upcoming production & I
want to head off potential last-minute cuing emergencies.

In the past, I have used cheap wireless video cameras & tube style tvs &
more expensive zoom cameras over F-style coax cable (also with older
tube-style TVs through antena transformers)  These were all WELL before the
advent of Digital-only TVs.

After some research, I believe that I can purchase an inexpensive
adjustable-zoom CCTV camera such as the Honic Clear Night Vision 108P
<https://www.amazon.com/Bright-Starvis-2-8-12mm-Outdoor-Security/dp/B07TSHWQJJ/ref=sr_1_14?crid=3RUT5BUB8P7Y4&keywords=zoom+cctv+camera&qid=1648662141&sprefix=zoom+cctv+camera%2Caps%2C81&sr=8-14>
and using BNC cable & a BNC to RCA converter, hook it up to the Composite
video port of a monitor or tv.

If anyone has experience and the time to confirm this (or to set me
straight),  I'd appreciate the feedback.  I can take responses offline at
my email to reduce bandwidth if desired.
Thanks

--
Steven J McLean
515-480-8461