[SML] Come work with me - TD opening

Jeffrey Kanyuck JKanyuck at Harford.edu
Wed Oct 19 17:09:48 UTC 2022

Yes, We are absolutely finding it extremely difficult to find people to fill our part time and full time positions.
Our positions are Theater Technician, Arena Overhire, Technical Manager and Festival Theater Managing Director.
Being a college it has been extremely difficult to get HR to budge on the budget for increasing wages to be able to pull someone in.
We have had the Technical Manager position open now for the 4th search and each time we get only one or two applicants and not with the requirements we need. Part of it I am sure is when HR lists the jobs in job websites they don't even post the wage range. For our Theater Technician job we pay starting at minimum wage and no benies. Even McDs down the road is offering benefits with a starting wage higher.
They keep telling me, "you can hire newbies and train them how you want them." At this point I am so low on crew I don't have time to train !!

Jeff Kanuck

From: Stagecraft <stagecraft-bounces at theatrical.net> On Behalf Of Ford Sellers via Stagecraft
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2022 11:08 AM
To: Stagecraft Mailing List <stagecraft at theatrical.net>
Cc: Ford Sellers <fsellers at chauvetlighting.com>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [SML] Come work with me - TD opening

Please use caution: This email was sent from outside of HCC.

Chip,
I hope you find a great new coworker.
I will tell you, we've been trying to hire folks for significantly more salary, and are having a very difficult time finding good applicants.
Even our local highschools are paying more than $50k now.
People are making such good money freelancing (at least the skilled ones), that a Fulltime job paying less than $75k is very hard to fill.

Is anyone else finding it especially hard to fill full-time positions?