[SML] USITT Small Motor Effects—call for submissions

Lschreib lschreib at sdsu.edu
Sun Oct 30 01:21:18 UTC 2022

  Greetings,

   In a moment of temporary madness, I agreed to co-chair, along with Ed Weingart, the USITT Conference session entitled "Small Motor Effects." Below please find the flyer for said session, which I hope you will pass along to your colleagues, friends, family, ex wives and husbands and all the usual suspects. And, if someone from this list would be so kind as to post this to the Facebook version of the list, I will be eternally grateful--or at least until the session is over.

  USITT

  “Small Motor Effects”

  Call for submissions

The Technical Production Commission of USITT is calling for submissions to the “Small Motor Effects” session to be held at the   2023 National Conference in St.   Louis.

The Commission is seeking examples of special effects for theatre, which use small electric motors—AC, DC, servo or stepper of 200 watts (1/4 HP) or less. Submissions should be realized devices from any theatrical discipline: scenic, properties, costumes, lighting or sound.

Presentation at the conference may be the actual device (preferred), or a PowerPoint with photographs, drawings, and videos. YouTube submissions will also be considered.

Submissions should include:

  ·   The show for which the device was created.

  o   What effect did the design team request?

  o   How did you meet the challenge?

  ·   How or why the motor was selected (it was in a dumpster, I had it already, I saw it in the Grainger catalog, etc.).

·   How the motor was controlled (on/off, PLC, microprocessor, etc.).

This is not a contest but rather a colloquium to demonstrate your technical creativity and spark similar creativity among your peers.

Questions regarding submissions, criteria, or developing the presentation may be sent to Ed Weingart at   edw at uconn.edu (mailto:edw at uconn.edu)   and/or Loren Schreiber at   Lschreib at sdsu.edu (mailto:Lschreib at sdsu.edu).

Submission deadline is   Friday, January 20, 2023.

 Loren Schreiber, Professor Emeritus
School of Theatre, Television, and Film

San Diego State University