[SML] Mic Drop

mouse at fieldmousepro.com mouse at fieldmousepro.com
Wed Sep 7 01:28:30 UTC 2022

I wouldn't worry about damage to the speaker system from a mic drop. A
limiter can catch anything big and keep it reasonable. And to be fair,
your speaker system probably has limiters built-in to the processing
before the amplifiers, anyway. Plugging or unplugging a condenser mic or
instrument without muting it first creates a bigger pop than just
dropping a mic. Don't ask me how I know. :)

Yes, billing the client up front for a replacement mic (or anything, for
that matter) is standard practice when abusing it is part of the act.

If the artist will be using monitor wedges, you'll want to have the
monitor EQ "rung out" carefully to avoid feedback if the mic is dropped
close to a monitor.

Beyond that, just have your audio engineer ride the level of the mic so
that the mic drop has a good effect and sounds comfortable for the
audience. If possible, have the artist let you know at what points in
the show they will be doing the gag so that the engineer can be ready
for it. You could even rehearse it in advance to find a good volume
level.

Stephen
Audio engineer