[SML] Dressing room LED bulbs (longish personal experience report)

David Fox David.Fox at etcconnect.com
Fri Sep 9 13:29:16 UTC 2022

[uncloaking]

While I am no expert nor have I conducted extensive research on non-dimmable LEDs, I am a big fan of Cree https://www.creelighting.com/ for several reasons.

First,  While they are more expensive than other brands... they have a 10-year warranty and years of experience as a manufacturer.

Second, in my long-term test (i.e., I replaced all the bulbs in my kitchen with them 9 and a half years ago), I have only had to replace 2 out of the 21 type-A E26  bulbs in my kitchen. (Open kitchen plan, big chandelier fixtures, and yah...I like a bright kitchen). And those were only in the last few months so the end-of-life estimates are to be believed. Most of the bulbs have a 25,000-hour listing, and their downlights are 50,000 hours.

Third, They are available in a large number of places including home depot so if you have an open PO or an account they are easy to obtain.

Fourth- MOST IMPORTANT!!! They actually output the light they say they will both in color temp and lumen output! In my initial looking, I took one of my kitchen fixtures and replaced half the incandescent bulbs with Cree to compare. I seriously could not tell the difference in output or color temperature. I was amazed.

Fifth- SECOND MOST IMPORTANT- They make almost their entire line in 2700, 3000, and 5000-kelvin variants. So you can easily find what you are looking for and match existing temps.

I use 2700 in hallways and accent lighting, 3000 in work and dining areas, and 5000 in bathrooms, over my kitchen countertops, and as outdoor lighting.

They are dimmable as long as you are using a standard wall box dimmer. I have not tested them on say any ETC dimming products.

I have had less than nominal experience with Feit lamps (Costco's house brand)  in terms of longevity, but to their credit when they had a manufacturing defect and offered a no-question 100% replacement swap and sent extras.

Looking forward to seeing what others think.
It is important to note that the opinions of the individual and those of their employer are not always aligned.

What you have read should be construed as my opinion and not the opinion of my employer.

If you don't like or agree with my thoughts and musings, I am the one you should take to task and not the nice people who pay me.

Be Seeing You
David Fox
He/him/his