[SML] Scary Rigging

Stephen Rees Stephen.Rees at fredonia.edu
Sun Sep 11 15:25:13 UTC 2022

My ETCP Rigging certification expired about 9 years ago and for the most
part I don't chime in with opinions or solutions because there are lots of
folks who now know better than I. However, just last week, I got a request
from a former student who has started teaching at a nearby parochial
elementary school to do a look at the current condition of their stage
area.  It turns out that this is a space that I made an inspection of about
20-25 years ago and after making a series of recommendations, never heard
back from the administrators of that time.  It turns out that they did make
some inroads in remediating problems like removing the old dead-hung 1" ID
pipe battens suspended from spurious cable with clove hitches and wrapping
up the standing part of the line among other things.  They also removed all
the 1940's lighting gear!

Sadly, they retained the soft goods which are in significantly worse
condition and are rigged in a most curious fashion. Obviously, no one with
stage rigging experience was consulted as attempts to install those old
goods were made. I attached some images of their solutions. Most
unconventional.

The school does have some money and wanted a  prioritized list of things to
upgrade. I gave them that and also suggested that they immediately remove
all the blacks and the odd rigging supporting them.

The image of the SL Curtain and Teaser Rig is the most disconcerting. The
image is the termination as viewed from the underside.  I've recommended
that this crap be dismounted post haste and hope that can happen in the
next week or so.

I also provided them with the names of two reputable design/install firms
in the region and proposed that the school generate an RFP including onsite
inspection from whomever they eventually hire.

They're still out there, folks!

Steve

Stephen E. Rees,
Professor Emeritus of Theatre - SUNY Fredonia
CCE-CC Master Gardener Volunteer
716.680.1565 Mobile