[SML] UK Power Distribution

Gordon Nimmo-Smith gnsmith at shakespearetheatre.org
Tue Sep 27 13:30:13 UTC 2022

Hey,

Can answer a couple of things:

  *   Edison and stagepin do not exist in the UK (or Europe!) at all really.
  *   Yes, PowerCon and TrueOne are used extensively.  Both are Neutrik, who are based in Europe.
  *   “G Type” is largely domestic usage, not so much for large scale power distribution.  The connector actually has a built-in fuse, which means people tend to shy away from them for lighting use especially.
  *   Any large power distribution systems (or outdoor systems) will use CeeForm connectors by default (can be single or three phase, differentiated by connector colour). A lot of theatres and TV studios have switched over to using CeeForm as the default connector for lighting instruments.

As someone suggested, a great bet (particularly if you have an active job you are working on) is to reach out to a rental company (such as Whitelight) or an installer (such as Stage Electrics) depending on what you are looking for.  Feel free to DM me and I can put you in touch with a contact at Stage Electrics if they look like a good fit.

As far as I know you are right that ETC does not supply their raceways to the UK, at least not directly.  There are other companies out there who make very similar things, though, so I guess maybe it is not worth them redesigning to meet UK requirements/codes, making them in the US and shipping them over.  Stage Electrics makes their own, as does Northern Light and a few other places.

HTH!
Gordon
(Ex-pat who moved this side of the Atlantic in 2014)

Audio/Video Supervisor
Stage Operations Supervisor
gnsmith at shakespearetheatre.org<mailto:gnsmith at shakespearetheatre.org>
(202) 547-3230 x3543