[SML] Illuminating a 5ft inflatable earth

Joe jdunfee12 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 13 17:55:05 UTC 2023

I have a project where we plan to use a 5' dia, vinyl, inflatable earth.  It has a provision to illuminate it with a battery powered LED, that gets inserted into a clear tube that runs through it.  However, a reviewer comments that they wish it were brighter. So, I have significant doubts that it will be bright enough for our needs.
I imagine I would want at least 1,000 lumens of light. Ideally, it would be dimmable. I just looked at what was available for under cabinet LEDs, and found ones that would fit in that tube (I would put two back-to-back), and have the lumens I want.  But, none of the 120vAC ones are dimmable, and probably wouldn't dim nicely at the low end if they did. I have a DMX to LED dimmer system that will work 5 to 24 DC. So I decided to check out the car work lights, that are hard-wired into the car. But, I have doubts they will fit into the tube.
I am also a bit concerned about heat.  Being installed in the inflatable, sealed with a vinyl tube around it, is going to reduce its cooling.  So, perhaps bare LED strips are the way to go. If needed, I could perhaps wrap the LED strip around some metal tubing. That will both act as a heat sink, and I can get airflow through it, if I can find some old metal vacuum cleaner tubing.

Another related concept is to make my own inflatable shapes. But, use the fan-inflated type that uses nylon fabric. Then, airbrush with some transparent paint to add images and color. But, I have never attempted this.  I see all kinds of paints advertised as transparent.  But, will it stick to nylon?
Any advice on the above?

-Joe