[SML] Illuminating a 5ft inflatable earth

Jon Ares jonares at arescreative.com
Sun Aug 13 18:08:22 UTC 2023

I don't know if these are dimmable, but these 24v LED tapes are hella
bright...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B7H87HY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
There are other brands - but if you check these out, you'll find them
really easy to work with, good CRI, and SO VERY bright. Maybe even
dimmable....?

 - Jon

On Sun, Aug 13, 2023 at 10:59 AM Joe via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> I have a project where we plan to use a 5' dia, vinyl, inflatable earth.
> It has a provision to illuminate it with a battery powered LED, that gets
> inserted into a clear tube that runs through it.  However, a reviewer
> comments that they wish it were brighter. So, I have significant doubts
> that it will be bright enough for our needs.
>
> I imagine I would want at least 1,000 lumens of light. Ideally, it would
> be dimmable. I just looked at what was available for under cabinet LEDs,
> and found ones that would fit in that tube (I would put two back-to-back),
> and have the lumens I want.  But, none of the 120vAC ones are dimmable, and
> probably wouldn't dim nicely at the low end if they did. I have a DMX to
> LED dimmer system that will work 5 to 24 DC. So I decided to check out the
> car work lights, that are hard-wired into the car. But, I have doubts they
> will fit into the tube.
>
> I am also a bit concerned about heat.  Being installed in the inflatable,
> sealed with a vinyl tube around it, is going to reduce its cooling.  So,
> perhaps bare LED strips are the way to go. If needed, I could perhaps wrap
> the LED strip around some metal tubing. That will both act as a heat sink,
> and I can get airflow through it, if I can find some old metal vacuum
> cleaner tubing.
>
> Another related concept is to make my own inflatable shapes. But, use the
> fan-inflated type that uses nylon fabric. Then, airbrush with some
> transparent paint to add images and color. But, I have never attempted
> this.  I see all kinds of paints advertised as transparent.  But, will it
> stick to nylon?
>
> Any advice on the above?
>
> -Joe

Jon Ares