[SML] Looking for very old-school disco light

Joe jdunfee12 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 18 16:49:18 UTC 2023

I am planning on some laser aerial effects (laser beams shining through haze).  Which requires me to file a variance.  However, I vividly recall an old-school fixture that was a VERY good simulation of the laser fan effect. And since it used a 500 watt tubular quartz lamp, it was eye safe.  So, no variance needed.

The fixture consisted of a sheet metal box, the 5" lamp, and 3 lenses.  There wasn't even any kind of reflector or fan inside.  Just some baffles to control the light.  See my attached illustration.

There was eventually a version, called the "Derby", which spun the 5" lamp.  A friend modified one by disconnecting the motor, so it would work like the earlier version. Though, this is not like the contemporary version that uses a point source LEDs.
Any ideas where I might purchase one of the original versions?  Though, I guess if I were desperate enough, I might just make some, since they were so simple.
-Joe