[SML] Hot wire foam molding cutter

Lschreib lschreib at sdsu.edu
Thu Jul 20 13:03:40 UTC 2023

     I’ve tried all the different bent wire system for cutting foam moldings and found that steel packing tape bent into the desired shape and then heated with a stick welder supply works the best, but it’s still clumsy and the results are hit-or-miss depending on the complexity of the shape. These days it’s far simpler and probably cheaper in the long run to call a foam company and have them do it. Send them the profile and they can CNC the shapes out of a 2’ x 4’ x 8’ block, leaving the block intact for shipping. And foam is not that expensive to ship. Any foam firm that deals with architectural shapes can do it. In San Diego I’ve use Foam Co., which I think now belongs to Ridout Plastics. Save yourself the trouble of dealing with poison gasses and potential fires. And you will get a better product.

Loren Schreiber