[SML] Decibel Meter App

mouse at fieldmousepro.com mouse at fieldmousepro.com
Mon Jun 19 12:32:41 UTC 2023

Out of curiosity, what's your use case? The reason I ask is that cell
phone dB meters are mostly a novelty. There are a few circumstances
where a phone app is useful, but they're kinda specific. If you need a
measurement that's halfway accurate, get a handheld SPL meter. The cheap
ones are actually pretty decent.

The place where cell phone SPL meters usually break down is that they're
dependant on the phone's hardware & operating system to give the app
it's data. The microphones in a cell phone are incredibly tiny,
optimized for voice frequencies, and typically start to distort at high
volumes. Also, the phone might or might not have some signal processing
on the audio (like compression or nose reduction) before it hands it off
to other apps. It's really a crap shoot if you'll get good results, and
each phone is different.

In full disclosure, the other reason I dislike cell phone meters is that
they're usually foisted on me by angry people who feel that the sound is
too loud, and they're using the numbers on their app as a bludgeon.

Stephen (the other one).