[SML] Decibel Meter App

Riley Casey ercasey at espsound.com
Tue Jun 20 12:27:33 UTC 2023

I’ve used several SPL apps on iPhones over the years including the Studio Six version and they have all shown a very close tracking to my handheld Triplett SPL meter. I gather that Apple documents their hardware better than the plethora of Android phone makers do so it wouldn’t be surprising if the accuracy couldn’t be counted on with non-iPhones.

> Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 07:32:41 -0500
> From: mouse at fieldmousepro.com <mailto:mouse at fieldmousepro.com>
> Subject: Re: [SML] Decibel Meter App
>
> Out of curiosity, what's your use case? The reason I ask is that cell
> phone dB meters are mostly a novelty. There are a few circumstances
> where a phone app is useful, but they're kinda specific. If you need a
> measurement that's halfway accurate, get a handheld SPL meter. The cheap
> ones are actually pretty decent.
>
> The place where cell phone SPL meters usually break down is that they're
> dependant on the phone's hardware & operating system to give the app
> it's data. The microphones in a cell phone are incredibly tiny,
> optimized for voice frequencies, and typically start to distort at high
> volumes. Also, the phone might or might not have some signal processing
> on the audio (like compression or nose reduction) before it hands it off
> to other apps. It's really a crap shoot if you'll get good results, and
> each phone is different.
>
> In full disclosure, the other reason I dislike cell phone meters is that
> they're usually foisted on me by angry people who feel that the sound is
> too loud, and they're using the numbers on their app as a bludgeon.
>
> Stephen (the other one).
>

> Stephen E Rees wrote:
>> Does anyone know of a phone app available that is reasonably accurate
>> and affordable?

E. R. Casey

Entertainment Sound Production
Silver Spring MD 20910