[SML] [EXTERNAL] Orchestra Pit Floor Sound Dampening

Jeffrey Kanyuck JKanyuck at Harford.edu
Thu Nov 30 21:29:57 UTC 2023

Is the Orchestra pit a moving unit that changes height and becomes part of the stage?
Or a permanently lower area?
If it does not become part of the stage or seating area, then I would suggest actually buying new carpet. It will be cleaner, last longer, probably look better, and you can use the glue meant for it on the edges and then later use a floor scraper on those edges and take the whole thing out rather easily.
Even if you can't glue it down and have to remove it after each performance, you could at least then cut it to more exacting sizes and have a cleaner look (and smell?) that the musicians might appreciate more. Possibly the crew would like it better as they roll it up to move.
That type of carpet is typically pretty cheap considering.
Jeff

From: Stagecraft <stagecraft-bounces at theatrical.net> On Behalf Of Tailored Web Solutions via Stagecraft
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2023 8:49 AM
To: stagecraft at theatrical.net
Cc: Tailored Web Solutions <sbraun1 at twcny.rr.com>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [SML] Orchestra Pit Floor Sound Dampening

Please use caution: This email was sent from outside of HCC.

Good Day All,
We've always used old, scrap indoor/outdoor carpeting to deaden the sound on the floor of our orchestra pit.
It also keeps all of the stands, chairs, and instruments from sliding around.
Our carpet has to go, due to age.
I am interested to find out if there are any other unique solutions to this issue, other than just replacing it with more old, used carpet.
Thanksomuch,
sfb